Initially I wasn't planning to attend the chocolates class at all but I'm glad I did because it is something that is easier to recreate at home without the fancy commercial equipment as compared with gateaux.
However, I have to admit I underestimated the difficulty of chocolate making after this class. The whole process seemed so deceivingly easy during class - it seemed like all we had to do was mix, mould, pipe and done! But oh was I so wrong... but I'll leave that for the next post.
Chocolate making is hard work - the amount of stirring required gave me sore hand, but maybe I was just using force wrongly.
so.. much.. chocolate...
Once we got past the physical stirring, scrapping, folding.. and generally just providing the chocolate with movement during tempering - the next step was to actually make the chocolates. It is not too hard once you get the hang of it, but a lot of patience is required in each step. If you rush through a certain step or if you're not careful enough, then your chocolates may not turn out well (taste and appearance wise).
Final result: Rows and rows of shiny moulded chocolates! We had to wear gloves and carefully unmould the chocolates! I got told off when I tried touching the chocolates without gloves :p I'm sure we all became chocolate snobs after this class. I certainly do check for scratches, dents and finger prints now whenever I walk past shops which sell handmade chocolates :)
Another process which tested my patience - enrobing praline in chocolate. Oh dear, this type of chocolate actually required you to enrobe each individual chocolate, one by one. It's not just something that is taught and enforced in class. I witnessed the way they prepared Christmas chocolates for their sponsors and they did in fact enrobe trays and trays of pralines individually! The level of patience they possess is something that I'm trying to achieve for myself!!!
This is what happens when you don't clean your dipping fork after dipping each chocolate - things get stuck and your arrangement gets messy.
Lesson learned from previous batch - still slightly messy but I improved a lot when I tried making them at home :)